Lowering EMF Exposure
1. Unplug WiFi router and cordless phones at bedtime (or use an electric timer)
also turn off cellphones (or put in airplane mode with wifi/bluetooth turned off)
2. Use a corded phone - make sure it is not a phone which allows for remote
handsets (which uses wireless DECT technology)
Most corded answering systems use WiFi. The solution is a separate phone and answering machine, which can be purchased at thrift stores or on Ebay.
AT&T still sells a good phone/answering system combination:
or just a handset (with caller ID)
and separate answering machine:
3. DECT cordless phones (charging base) emit very high wireless radiation 24/7
- even when not in use. Unplug at bedtime or a low Emf version 900 Mhz cordless phone (available on Ebay) which only emits when in use. Corded phones are safest.
4. Switch to a wired ethernet computer connection using an ethernet cable
to your router
a) Important: Also Disable WiFi/bluetooth on your computer
In your computer settings - disable wifi/bluetooth and enable ethernet
b) For room to room connections use a long ethernet cord or TP Link AV600 (which uses your homes wiring as a way to enable ethernet connections).
c) Important: Also go online to turn off wifi on the router
AT&T Uverse -
Comcast Xfinity -
Also disable the Comcast public wifi hotspot
- In some instances you may need to call your carrier for assistance.
5. Use a wired keyboard and mouse
6. Use a wired ethernet connection for ipad and iphone
You will need these two adapters:
1) Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter
2) USB 2.0 Ethernet Network Adapter
7. Use only incandescent light bulbs - healthier than fluorescent, CFL or LED
8. Opt out from SmartMeters
You can opt out of SmartMeter participation with one of the following methods:
- Submit a SmartMeter™ Opt-Out Form online
- Submit a request in-person at your local PG&E office. Find your local PG&E office. Download Office Locations by Area (PDF, 291 KB)PDF.
- Call the SmartMeter line at 1-866-743-0263.
9. Keep cell phones away from your body - use speaker or airtube headset.
Do not use bluetooth or wireless headsets - they have very high radiation levels.
Put in airplane mode (disable wifi/bluetooth) or turn off when not in use.
10. Wifi routers should be kept at least 10 ft. away.
11. Turn off electricity to the bedroom at night via electrical breaker switch
What Distance is Safe?
The guidelines below are the minimum distances usually neededs to reduce the EMFs down to the General Public Precautionary Levels. Individuals with a heightened sensitivity to electromagnetic fields — or other serious health issues such as chronic fatigue, cancer or Lyme Disease — may want to reduce their exposures even further, perhaps down to the much stricter EMF Hypersensitivity Advisory levels. For these concerns, consider doubling many of the distances shown in the table below. And perhaps most important, please listen to your own body, intuition and experience as your final guide.
More Information from Building Biologist/EMF Inspector Oram Miller
“The Non-Tinfoil Guide to EMFs” by Nicolas Pineault